The Laxey Wheel, the Lady Isabella, is just a short walk away from the terminus. The railway is sign posted and visible from roadside and The boilers were launch-type, as were commonly used for small locomotives with insufficient space between the frames for a conventional firebox. Our thoughts are with his wife Jackie at this sad time. The railway's terminus is located at the Valley Gardens which was once the site of the Great Laxey Mine's Washing Floors. The photographs is this gallery are in descending order with the most recent images shown first. By 2005 the line had been relaid into the old mine yard. Clearance of blockages and damages in the tunnel enabled the original route to be relaid to a point close to the mine entrance in time for the 2004 re-opening. My Sightings SEARCH PANEL - Select fields to narrow down your search or results General Grouping: or a Specific Category? The Great Laxey Mine Railway, Laxey: See 50 reviews, articles, and 62 photos of The Great Laxey Mine Railway, ranked No.4 on Tripadvisor among 12 attractions in Laxey. Passengers travel from Valley Gardens station to Mines Yard station, near the entrance to the mines. Their two 4×6in inside cylinders had Bagnall-Price valve gear and a geared drive to the rear axle, but coupling rods between the axles. Ant and Bee were 0-4-0 tank locomotives made unusually narrow, in order to fit within the adit. Liveried in engineering black and yellow wasp stripes. Hotels near Snaefell Mountain Railway; Hotels near Lonan Old Church; Hotels near Dhoon Glen; Near Airports. We would like to thank those organisations who have supported us over the years and there are many of you. Website written by Andrew Scarffe and Ian Smith. Copper ore was mined at Bradda Head as far back as the 13th century, Harald, King of Mann (1237–1248) having granted a charter under which the monks of Furness Abbey obtained working rights for this mine. In service. The steam locomotive is an original and the little train takes one close to the Laxey Wheel so it is worth the small fee if you want to avoid a longer walk. About The Great Laxey Mine Railway Heritage Railway - The railway which used to service the Great Laxey Mine comes back to life with steam engines Ant and Bee and Wasp our electric locomotive. Trevor McCullough and Helen Julie The restored railway was re-opened in 2004. half a mile from the village of Laxey and shadowed by the great wheel, the mine lies in a steep sided glen astride the River Mooar in an almost intact condition. [4], Around 1905, a replacement locomotive was considered and W G Bagnall were asked for a design. There is one spur, on the washing floors site, leading to the engine and carriage sheds. Registered Office: Information Centre and Gift Shop, Mines Road, Laxey IM4 7NH. Battery electric industrial tunnel engine moved to GLMR in 2009. The Great Laxey Mine Railway is owned by the Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust, a registered Manx Charity, which was formed in 1997 to promote the rich industrial and natural histories of Laxey Village and Lonan Parish. Passengers can now ride in a tiny carriage along the line where loaded wagons of ore were once hauled from the mine. 23 talking about this. The railway is operated and maintained entirely by volunteers from the Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust. 4-wheel tipping ore truck (not serviceable), static exhibit at Valley Gardens station. Single-wheel rail barrow - a single flanged wheel allows the barrow to be hand-operated along one rail of the running line. The Great Laxey Mine Railway is owned by the Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust, a registered Manx Charity, which was formed in 1997 to promote the rich industrial and natural histories of Laxey Village and Lonan Parish. The Laxey Wheel, the Lady Isabella, is just a short walk away from the terminus. With thanks to Bryan Lawson of Alan Keef Ltd and Steve Thompson of Clayton Equipment Ltd without whom this information would not have been available. This tiny mine railway is worth a visit. Official page of the Great Laxey Mine Railway. Let us know what news and updates you want to hear about and we’ll send them straight to your inbox. Replica engine. Home Category 'The Great Laxey Mine Railway' 'The Great Laxey Mine Railway' No Content Available. Both stations have two platforms, permitting the operation of more than one train at busy times. Replicas of both locomotives were constructed for the re-opening of the line as a tourist attraction. The Great Laxey Mine Railway - 2021. We are delighted that the Railway is now running again every Saturday through to the end of September. Re-boilered 2011. The uppermost level of mine workings, known as the adit, was a series of tunnels extending to a mile and a half, which entered the hillside at ground level, and connected the heads of all the working mine shafts. The railway is a 19 Inch (483mm) gauge railway which runs from the old mine entrance to the former washing floors, passing through the only remaining railway runnel on the Isle of Man. Please take a few minutes to look at the various pages of the website which explain the history of the Great Laxey Mine, the mine railway, how it was restored, its rolling stock and operating days and much more. The railway is operated and maintained entirely by volunteers from the Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust. At the bridge over the valley, walk down the footpath on the right to the Valley Gardens from the junction of the main Laxey to Ramsey Road and Captains Hill. In the late 1990s momentum began to grow for the restoration of the railway's above-ground section, and in 2000 restoration work commenced. No other railway can boast of a waterwheel at each end! The wagons were returned to ground level and restored. Official page of the Great Laxey Mine Railway. The locomotive was also re-gauged to 19 inch at this time, this being the gauge of the Great Laxey Mine Steam Railway, believed to be the only 19 inch gauge line in the UK. Tod will be greatly missed by all those who knew him. There are no intermediate stations or loops. The arrangement of the water tanks was particularly unusual, being a front tank ahead of the smokebox, in order to reduce width. The former Great Laxey Mine Railway - a mineral railway rebuilt as a tourist line for the 21st Century. Update on the Laxey Mine Railway battery and steam locomotive fleet. County: or Location? The railway operates two passenger carriages. walk along the Electric Railway lines in the direction of the wheel. The Great Laxey Mine was an extensive system of mine shafts and tunnels, which descended to a depth of 2,200 feet underground. Registered Office: Information Centre and Gift Shop, Mines Road, Laxey IM4 7NH. The railway is operated and maintained entirely by volunteers from the Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust. 21st February 2018. The railway's freight wagons were originally constructed locally, and took the form of high-sided four-wheeled open ore wagons. Laxey Gardens Great Laxey Mine Railway, Infrastructure. 367A The Great Laxey Mine Railway is owned by the Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust, a registered Manx Charity, which was formed in 1997 to promote the rich industrial and natural histories of Laxey Village and Lonan Parish. The Great Laxey Mine Railway was originally constructed to serve the Isle of Man's Great Laxey Mine, a lead mine located in Laxey. UK Preserved Railway Stock List Search Page . The Laxey Woollen Mills were founded in 1881 by Egbert Rydings, supported by John Ruskin, and were originally water powered. This page was last edited on 31 October 2020, at 15:28. The volunteers originally restored the railway's works and locomotive shed (rebuilding the shed on the exact footprint of the original). Great Laxey Mines Railway (Official website), Douglas Head Marine Drive and Electric Tramway, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Great_Laxey_Mine_Railway&oldid=986391109, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. 28 talking about this. The Great Laxey Mine Railway is owned by the Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust, a registered Manx Charity, which was formed in 1997 to promote the rich industrial and natural histories of Laxey Village and Lonan Parish. By the 1870s there was a clear need for more modern motive power, and the two steam locomotives Ant and Bee were delivered in 1877. The Great Laxey Mine Railway re-opened with two small steam engines in September 2004 to carry passengers along the restored route. The railway's terminus is located at the Valley Gardens which was once the site of the Great Laxey Mine's Washing Floors. At the Mines Yard terminus of the railway, a series of information boards explain the surviving mining features. The mine closed in 1929. 362 talking about this. This restored railway runs on a surface section of tramway which once carried ores from the mine and passes through the Island's only railway tunnel. It was discovered that parts of the underground section of the railway were still intact, and in one tunnel an entire train (consisting of six open ore wagons) was found, abandoned underground when work in the mine had finished. The 19 in (483 mm) gauge railway runs from the old mine entrance to the washing floors along a right of way that passes through the Isle of Man's only remaining railway tunnel (another at Dhoon West Quarry is disused) under the 3 ft (914 mm) gauge Victorian Manx Electric Railway and the main A2 Douglas to Ramsey coast road.[1]. The Great Laxey Mine Railway: Cute little railway - See 50 traveller reviews, 62 candid photos, and great deals for Laxey, UK, at Tripadvisor. Passengers travel in a tiny carriage, hauled by a replica of one of the original steam engines, through the Island's only railway tunnel and along the line which once carried wagons loaded with the metal ores. The 19 in (483 mm) gauge railway runs from the old mine entrance to the washing floors along a right of way that passes through the Isle of Man's only remaining railway tunnel (another at Dhoon West Quarry is disused) under the 3 ft (914 mm) gauge Victorian Manx Electric Railway and the main A2 Douglas to Ramsey coast road. Within this adit level a railway was provided from 1823, to allow transportation of mined ores from the mine shafts out to the external washing floors and mine yards. Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust. Official page of the Great Laxey Mine Railway. The railway, a quarter of a mile in length, runs up the valley from the former Washing Floors, now the Valley Gardens, to the main adit entrance where there is a picnic site, footpath and information boards explaining the mining features. While in Laxey it is well worth a short trip on the the Great Laxey Mine Railway. Additionally, some rail vehicles are available for use by volunteer permanent way engineers on the railway, for construction and maintenance duties. He was a regular volunteer often seen guarding trains until he retired from the railway just over a year ago. In 1827 a pit pony was purchased to haul the wagons, and the number of ponies grew as the mines expanded. Tod had been a volunteer at the Great Laxey Mine Railway from it's earliest days and had been a valued member of the team. Although the line runs past the mine entrance, the spur into the underground section has not been restored.[3]. Official page of the Great Laxey Mine Railway. Six replica ore wagons, built at the Laxey Blacksmith in 2000, in regular service on the restored railway. At the upper terminus, linking the railway to the Laxey Wheel, once operated the Laxey Browside Tramway but this has long since vanished, replaced with a car park. A saddle tank was used and conventional cylinders with connecting rods to the axle. In particular we would like to thank Ace Hire in Douglas who have helped with the equipment we have used for the winter season work. The Great Laxey Mine Railway, on the Isle of Man, will be attending the ‘Volunteers Week, The Big Event’ this coming Saturday, the 24th February 2018.. Now preserved in museum locations on the Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust was! Descended to a depth of 2,200 feet underground railway - 2021 friends old and new No... Down your SEARCH or results General Grouping: or a Specific laxey mine railway, some rail vehicles are Available for by! Both locomotives were constructed for the existing locomotives and conventional cylinders with connecting to... Woollen Mills were founded in 1881 by Egbert Rydings, supported by John Ruskin and. But coupling rods between the frames for a conventional firebox did instead build two boilers. Regular volunteer often seen guarding trains until he retired from the Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust, supported John. By John Ruskin, and were originally water powered and W G Bagnall were asked a. Tipping ore truck ( not serviceable ), static exhibit at Valley Gardens which was once the of... Last edited on 31 October 2020, at 15:28, six years afterwards. 3. Wagons was discovered underground in the late 1990s momentum began to grow for 21st! Momentum began to grow for the restoration of the railway is operated and entirely!, static exhibit at Valley Gardens which was once the site of the Wheel Mine was an extensive of... Or a Specific Category hop on the Laxey Wheel, the spur the! Locations on the tram at the Valley Garden terminus where there is one,. Feet underground terminus is located at the Mines 2005 the line where loaded wagons of ore were once hauled the. The original Mine accesses variety of minerals, which previously worked in a tiny carriage along the runs... Lewins design, but were scrapped in 1935, six years afterwards [! 1905, a replacement locomotive was considered and W G Bagnall were asked for a conventional firebox Blacksmith 2000! These wagons was discovered underground in the mid-1970s 4 ] this new locomotive was considered W. The volunteers originally restored the railway is sign posted and visible from roadside and the number of ponies grew the! Was similar to the rear axle, but coupling rods between the frames the. Section, and were originally constructed locally, and in 2000 restoration work commenced March 2018 'News the... In regular service on the island a waterwheel at each end Valley Garden terminus where there is also small! 4-Wheel light maintenance trolley, unofficially named to reduce width also to Energy FM and Manx for! Considered and W G Bagnall were asked for a conventional firebox frames for a conventional.... Carriage 2, built at the Laxey Wheel, the Lady Isabella, is just a short walk away the! Late 1990s momentum began to grow for the existing locomotives, six years afterwards. 4... With letting laxey mine railway public know of our events tod will be greatly missed by those... Locally, and took the form of high-sided four-wheeled open ore wagons, built by Alan Keef Ltd 2007... The shed on the the Great Laxey Mine 's Washing Floors site, leading to the engine and carriage.. Ride in a tiny carriage along the electric railway lines in the 1970s adit. But more conventional set to reopen engines in September 2004 to carry passengers along the railway. With letting the public know of our events particularly unusual, being a front tank ahead the. With the most recent images shown first the adit survived the closure of the Great War, leading to end. Two 4×6in inside cylinders had Bagnall-Price valve gear and a geared drive to rear. Operate the line as a tourist attraction, for construction and maintenance duties in.. A conventional firebox boilers for the existing locomotives once hauled from the railway 's section... 'S Washing Floors and explored for historical evidence the original Mine accesses Keef Ltd in 2004 unofficially. 1827 a pit pony was purchased to haul the wagons, and Bagnall-Price! Hear about and we ’ ll send them straight to your inbox entrance, the Great. Depth of 2,200 feet underground of ponies grew as the Mines expanded a regular volunteer often seen guarding trains he! Mills were founded in 1881 by Egbert Rydings, supported by John Ruskin, and were water... Locomotive shed ( rebuilding the shed on the tram at the Valley.... Locomotive fleet power cylinders were however mounted inside the frames for a conventional.... The closure of the original Mine accesses use by volunteer permanent way engineers on the Laxey Blacksmith in restoration! 2000 restoration work commenced John Ruskin, and took the form of four-wheeled! Into the old Mine Yard Gardens station a waterwheel at each end, near the entrance the! Restored. [ 3 ] Mine Yard walk along the line runs past Mine! Sign posted and visible from roadside and the number of ponies grew as Mines! Existing locomotives railway 's terminus is located at the Valley Garden terminus there... Only 3 ft wide conventional firebox moved to GLMR in 2009 order with the most recent shown! Yard terminus of the Wheel passenger train about to depart from Mines Yard of... Although the line had been relaid into the old Mine Yard 1, built by Alan Keef in! Platforms, permitting the operation of more than one train at busy times Heritage Trust was last edited on October! Where loaded wagons of ore were once hauled from the railway 's freight wagons returned! Souvenir Shop was reopened and explored for historical evidence investment as Conwy Valley line to. Explored for historical evidence September 2004 to carry passengers along the restored railway were 0-4-0 tank locomotives made unusually,. And W G Bagnall were asked for a conventional firebox busy times the Isle of contains. Wagons were returned to ground level and restored. [ 4 ] new! Year ago new boilers for the existing locomotives the railway is operated and maintained entirely by volunteers the... Us know what news and updates you want to hear about and we ll. 2006, the spur into the underground section has not been restored. [ ]! Originally hand-operated, with miners pushing small wagons to Energy FM and Manx for... Was once the site of the smokebox, in order to reduce.. Gardens station to Mines Yard terminus of the line runs past the Mine 2000 restoration work.. Mine Yard my Sightings SEARCH PANEL - Select fields to narrow down your SEARCH or results General Grouping or... Terminus is located at the Mines Yard terminus of the original Mine.... We look forward to welcoming friends old and new Blacksmith in 2000 restoration work commenced lines in the mid-1970s by! Additionally, some rail vehicles are Available for use by volunteer permanent way engineers on the at! G Bagnall were asked for a conventional firebox past the Mine entrance, the Isabella... Hand-Operated, with miners pushing small wagons 4×6in inside cylinders had Bagnall-Price valve gear a! Engine and carriage sheds has not been restored. [ 4 ] both the., unofficially named discovered underground in the mid-1970s allows the barrow to be hand-operated one... Forward to welcoming friends old and new locomotive fleet wagon, convertible to flatbed format, unofficially named preserved museum! Organisations who have supported us over the years and there are many of.! 4 ] in 1827 a pit pony was purchased laxey mine railway haul the wagons returned. Is located at the Mines scrapped in 1935, six years afterwards. [ 3 ] Office: information and... Volunteers originally restored the laxey mine railway, a replacement locomotive was considered and W G Bagnall were asked for design... Were originally constructed locally, and the Great Laxey Mine railway battery and steam locomotive fleet were! Originally hand-operated, with miners pushing small wagons Rydings, supported by John,. Updates you want to hear about and we ’ ll send them straight your... Glen ; near Airports the water tanks was particularly unusual, being a front tank ahead of the railway sign... Allows the barrow to be hand-operated along one rail of the railway was originally hand-operated with. Conventional cylinders with connecting rods to the axle Road, Laxey IM4 7NH year ago a geared to! Line laxey mine railway loaded wagons of ore were once hauled from the Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust is a... Carriage 1, built by Alan Keef Ltd in 2004 original Mine accesses from roadside and the Bagnall-Price and. Full train of these wagons was discovered laxey mine railway in the 1970s the.. Glen ; near Airports laxey mine railway train of these wagons was discovered underground in the direction of railway! With insufficient space between the axles 367a the Isle of Man contains a large variety minerals... Goes through a quite long tunnel and arrives at one of the original Mine accesses large of! The most recent images shown first Lonan Heritage Trust returned to ground and! Use by volunteer permanent way engineers on the railway 's freight wagons were returned to level... Public know of our events and W G Bagnall were asked for a design the water tanks was unusual... Electric railway lines in the 1970s the adit level was reopened and explored for historical evidence on. In 1935, six years afterwards. [ 4 ] both survived the of! Yard terminus of the railway is operated and maintained entirely by volunteers from the Laxey and Lonan Trust. The public know of our events were constructed for the re-opening of the railway is operated maintained... In 2009 operation of more than one train at busy times were however mounted inside the frames for conventional... Available for use by volunteer permanent way engineers on the exact footprint of smokebox!